Steps to become successful throughout college
By: Carlos Glick
Let’s face it, a lot of us find college to be fun but yet a little stressful as the semesters progress and the years go by. No need to wait any longer because according to education quest, here are some tips you need to know in order for your college experience to become successful.
Note: This advice isn’t for freshmen only. It’s dedicated to everyone.
- Tip #1: Go to class. Just by showing up to class, you will learn a lot. It’s pretty amazing!
- Tip #2: Participate! Not only do you have to show up in class but you also have to become more active in class, that way when the professor calls on you, you will gain more information you will retain.
- Tip #3: Get some sleep. Study shows that it is recommended to receive 8-10 hours of sleep per night. So if you have an 8 am class, especially if you have a big test beforehand, get some shut eye!
- Tip #4: Pay attention to the syllabus The syllabus is the most important tool you will have. It tells you what is expected for the class. It breaks down due dates for assignments, course requirements and the grade breakdown.
- Tip #5: Know where to sit. Let’s settle this. If you sit in the front of the class, you tend to pay more attention and it will allow you to participate more. Whereas, if you sit in the back of the class, you tend to fall asleep more, not concentrate and get lazy.
- Tip #6: Take notes. Take lots of notes during class and take good notes. Find a note-taking strategy that works best for you. If you feel comfortable, use technology to help you, like your phone to record important lectures.
- Tip #7: Don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you are having difficulty with your classes, talk with your professor, your advisor, your friends or college resource centers for help. Or even go to a tutoring service. Many colleges offer those. And they’re free!
- Tip #8: Manage your time. Managing your time is key in college. Create a routine in which you can study, do homework, prepare for tests/exams, etc…
- Tip #9: Get a strategy for studying. Don’t just glance over your notes. This is not studying. Set a goal and schedule for yourself for studying. If you don’t know how to set a goal for yourself to create good studying habits, seek advice. There are tons of people and resources you can use, so use it!
- Tip #10: Make friends and network It is important to make friends, because by making friends, especially in the field you are studying in, you are able to establish connections. This also helps you build the networking skills you will need to find employment after college.
By following these tips, you will be able to have a great college experience and get to know your peers, establish connections, etc… So, go out and have fun!